Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Tuesday Tutorials: Zentangle Windows

Welcome to another nail art tutorial :)  Thanks for stopping by.  Today I'm going to be running you through a step-by-step how to for a new art style called Zentangle.  You can go here http://www.zentangle.com/ to learn more about what it is.  I could talk about it for a long while, but I'll just cut to the chase and say I'm in love with how the style is broken down for even the beginner artist(like myself) to be able to achieve something beautiful.  I also loved how it spoke right to one of my favorite nail art trends right now- graphic patterns.  The look we're going to learn to paint today looks like this when you're all done:
 At first glance I would assume this design might be too difficult to attempt, however it is surprisingly easy and fun taken piece meal.  Let's get started!



1) Paint all your nails a base coat and then two coats of a base color of your choice.  This is Sinful Colors Beverly Hills.


2) Using a contrasting color, paint three vertical lines on each nail.  I used acrylic paint because it doesn't become tacky quite so quickly and it's easier to maneuver in this kind of nail art.


3) Now paint some horizontal lines, making rectangle shapes on the nail rather than square.


4) Using the same color, and brush pain some "V" shapes in one column of rectangles.


5) In the next column, paint an upside-down "V" in each rectangle.  Continue this alternating pattern to the rest of the rectangles on your nails.


6) Using the same color and brush begin to fill in some of the spaces in the following pattern.  It will create a waving line along your nail.


7) Next, fill in more spaces, leaving every other "wave" to let the base color to peek through.


8) Complete each nail the same way as the first and finish up with a top coat and clean-up with acetone.  As you can see in this picture, my ring finger has a variation of the pattern for an accent nail.  Can you figure out what I've done?  The pattern just changed slightly at step 6.  Look closely and you'll see which spaces to fill with color instead.  I think after all my nails were done I ended up liking the variation better :)


I hope you try this look for yourself and let me know how it turned out.  Have you ever heard of Zentangle?  I'm in love with the approach!  

Song of the Day:

If you're a fan of the song of the day portion of the blog- you can look down at the very bottom of the blog and you'll find a youtube playlist of all the songs I've linked for you thus far and more that are yet to be featured.  

Have a great day!  Explore your creative divinity =D

Over and out.

4 comments:

  1. Cute nails! I like the colors and design.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, stopping by from show and tell....my daughter will love your post...bookmarked for her...glad to follow you for more exciting ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...as usual, you make it looks so easy! You come up with the neatest designs.
    KC

    ReplyDelete