Tuesday, January 20, 2015

OPI Hawaii Collection | Live Application and Possible Dupes

Well hello there!  I hope you're ready for another great, big Spring collection today!  This time it's coming from OPI and it's the Hawaii collection.  Just perfect, because I'm not sure there's anything else as enticing right now during these cold months than laying on a beach in Hawaii. :)  There are 12 polishes in this collection and they are tropically-themed colors and names reminiscent of Hawaii. As always, if you want to see these polishes reviewed with live application, you can do so here and the review includes a lot of possible dupes for these polishes as well:

Let's look at some polish:

Aloha from OPI is a fantastic red/coral/pink cream that is practically opaque at two coats.  It's not a super unique polish, but it sure is nice.  This is two coats without topcoat.


Do You Take Lei Away? is the only neutral polish in the collection.  It's a taupe/nude two-coater cream.  I was really glad they included this clean nude in the collection to compliment all these brights.  It's a great shade and I've shown you just two coats here without topcoat.


Go With the Lava Flow is a lovely two-coater strawberry/orange packed with gold shimmer.  This wasn't really a color in the collection I gravitated to but it has great application and I've shown it at two coats without topcoat.


Hello, Hawaii Ya? is one of my favorites because it's just such a great combination of gray and purple.  Mmm, these gray-toned polishes are right up my alley.  This is two coats of this great cream without topcoat.


Is Mai Tai Crooked? is a peachy warm orange cream.  It's lovely but it could certainly have a nicer formula, especially when compared to other polishes within the collection.  This is just two coats without topcoat.  It is very similar to Where Did Suzi's Man-go? from the 2014 Brazil collection, and you'll see this comparison along with many others in my video review.


Just Lanai-ing Around is a mid-to-deep rose cream with very subtle shimmer.  I really enjoyed this polish and it's very unique in my collection.  This is two coats without topcoat.


Lost My Bikini in Molokini is such a gorgeously-pigmented grape cream.  This is really lovely at two coats- it has a great formula.  You're looking at two coats here without topcoat.  It's one of my favorites from the Hawaii collection.


 My Gecko Does Tricks is one of two greens in the collection.  I loved this yellow-green lustre.  You're looking at two coats on its own without topcoat.  I also looks really nice as a one coat topper.

Pineapples Have Peelings Too! is the most out-of-the-box polish in the collection.  It's a yellow-gold lustre polish that leans a little frosty.  It has micro glitters of all different colors and hex glitters in the same shades.  This feels very carnival to me and almost feels more like mardi gras to me instead. This is two easy coats.


Suzi Shops & Island Hops is a pretty baby pink, or ballet slipper pink.  It has just a tiny touch of warmth in it.  This is two coats, but you might want to take it real thin and do three coats.  I didn't enjoy the formula here.  With all the baby pinks out there, in my opinion you probably don't need this one.


That's Hula-rious! is a delightful pastel green mint.  It's very light, and unfortunately had a little bit of a tricky formula.  Not too bad, but I had to be careful with my brush to get it smooth in two coats. I'm showing you those two coats here and no top coat.


This Color's making Waves is a silvered blue, aqua lustre with little gold flakes in it.  Such a unique shade.  It seems like it might be a duochrome, but it doesn't shift between shades, just really lustrous. This is two coats on it's own, no topcoat.  It also looks great, one coat over the dark purple in this collection.

That's it!  I hope this helped you make decisions about which polishes need to go on your must-have list.  Have a great day and I'll see you back next time :)

1 comment:

  1. I love this collection of polishes. I saw these at Sally's Beauty already even though the release date isn't supposed to be until Feb. The display only had 1 of each polish. Which I emptied. I had seen them last week and passed on them, but today after finding they were still in stock and having a coupon, I reasoned that I could always return any of them I changed my mind about, but I could not guarantee that I could go back to the store and get it should I pass a second time on this collection. The polish hoarder and collector in me was doing the thinking, of course.

    ReplyDelete